ARZENU is the umbrella organization of Reform and Progressive Religious Zionists. Founded in 1980 as an "ideological grouping" or Brit Olamit within the World Zionist Organization, ARZENU has constituent groups in ten countries and represents the interests of these groups and of Reform and Progressive Judaism worldwide in the governing bodies of World Zionist Organization and in the Jewish Agency for Israel.
ARZENU works to stimulate Zionist interest and activities in Progressive communities throughout the world. In countries where there are ARZENU constituents, we work to further the interests of Progressive Judaism within local Zionist Federations. ARZENU works together with all ideological groupings to promote Zionist activity in local Jewish communities and especially Zionist youth activity. Netzer Olami, the International Progressive Zionist Youth Movement is officially affiliated with ARZENU.
ARZENU constituent organizations support projects of the Israel Movement for Progressive Judaism (IMPJ) and are active in lobbying for issues of concern to Progressive Judaism in Israel.
The objectives of ARZENU are as follows:
- To encourage Zionist commitment among Reform Jews throughout the world and their adherence to the Jerusalem Platform.
- To represent the interests of Reform Jewish Zionists at the World Zionist Organization and its associated bodies.
- To encourage aliyah as a Reform Jewish option and assist those Reform Jews who, as individuals or as groups, are committed to aliyah.
- To foster the development of Reform Judaism in Israel.
- To work for authentic Jewish pluralism in Israel through elimination of all legislation and other measures which discriminate against non-Orthodox Judaism and which violate the principles of equal rights for all religious streams as embodied in Israel's Declaration of Independence.
- To contribute to the welfare of the State of Israel in all its aspects.
- To develop and support the work of national Reform Jewish Zionist organizations throughout the world.
For more information on ARZENU, click here to visit their website!ARZA Canada's sister organization is ARZA: the Association of Reform Zionists of America - the Zionist arm and voice of the Reform Movement in the United States. ARZA's mission is to make Israel fundamental to the sacred lives and Jewish identity of Reform Jews. As a Zionist organization, ARZA champions activities that further enhance Israel as a pluralistic, just and democratic Jewish state.
ARZA's core mission activities are:
Engagement: Bringing Israel into the minds, hearts and lives of American Reform Jews through increased awareness, education and programming.
Advocacy: Empowering Reform Jews to promote Israel in a caring, honest and intelligent manner in their communities and beyond.
Travel: Creating hands-on experiences in Israel that lead to a lifelong relationship.
For more information on ARZA, click here to visit their website!